Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $11.23+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $16.98Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a wonderful new selection of Henry James' short stories exploring the relationship between art and life, edited by Michael Gorra. This volume gathers seven of the very best of Henry James' short stories, all focussing the relationship between art and life. In 'The Aspern Papers', a critic is determined to get his hands on a great poet's papers hidden in a faded Venetian house - t matter what the human cost. 'The Author of Beltraffio', 'The Lesson of the Master' and 'The Figure in the Carpet' all focus on naive young men's unsettling encounters with their literary heroes. In 'The Middle Years', a dying velist begins to glimpse his own potential, while 'The Real Thing' and 'Greville Fane' both explore the tension between artistic and commercial success. These fables of the creative life reveal James at his ironic, provocative best. Henry James was born in 1843 in New York and died in London in 1916. In addition to many short stories, plays, books of criticism, autobiography and travel, he wrote some twenty vels, the first published being Roderick Hudson (1875). They include The Europeans, Washington Square, The Portrait of a Lady, The Bostonians, The Princess Casamassima, The Tragic Muse, The Spoils of Poynton, The Awkward Age, The Wings of the Dove, The Ambassadors and The Golden Bowl. Michael Gorra is Professor of English at Smith College and the author of Portrait of a Novel: Henry James and the Making of an American Masterpiece (2012), a finalist for both the Pulitzer Prize and the James Tait Black Memorial Prize in biography.
- Author BiographyHenry James was born in 1843 in New York and died in London in 1916. In addition to many short stories, plays, books of criticism, autobiography and travel, he wrote some twenty novels, the first published being Roderick Hudson (1875). They include The Europeans, Washington Square, The Portrait of a Lady, The Bostonians, The Princess Casamassima, The Tragic Muse, The Spoils of Poynton, The Awkward Age, The Wings of the Dove, The Ambassadors and The Golden Bowl.
- Author(s)Henry James
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication26/06/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight281 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byMichael Gorra
Best Selling in Fiction Books
- AU $64.76New
- AU $52.05Used
A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues: The Complete Box Set of All 7 Books by George R. R. Martin (Paperback, 2012)
- AU $52.89New
- AU $47.08Used
- AU $15.93New
- AU $7.98Used
- AU $69.84New
- AU $16.42New
- AU $18.17New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.93
- AU $12.54Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $24.46
- AU $24.34Trending at AU $25.98
- AU $18.40Trending at AU $28.24
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $15.81
- AU $18.80Trending at AU $19.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.