Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionThe Assumption of Agency Theory revisits the Turing Test and examines what Turing's assessor knew. It asks important questions about how machines vis a vis humans have been characterized since Turing, and seeks to reverse the trend of looking closely at the machine by asking what humans kw in interaction and how they kw it. Building upon existing theories of philosophy of mind, this book shows t how humans operate theoretically, but how they use every day human skill to overcome kwledge barriers and understand each other through kwing themselves. Only once human interaction has been theorized in this way are machines able to be placed within it; when it is easier to understand what humans believe them to be. This book characterizes a n-human agent that shows itself in interaction but is distinct from human agency: an agent acting with us in our ongoing reproduction and transformation of structure. Turing predicted that at the end of the twentieth century, we would refer to thinking machines 'without fear of contradiction'. The Assumption of Agency Theory shows how and why, even if we don't say it, we deal with machines every day as if they are thinking, acting agents.
- Author BiographyKate Forbes-Pitt left a career in IT to read Sociology at the London School of Economics before earning her PhD in Philosophy of Social Science at Lancaster University. Kate currently holds a post-doctoral position at the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, pursuing a philosophy of virtual worlds.
- Author(s)Kate Forbes-Pitt
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/05/2014
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.