The Asylum: True Tales of Madness from a Life in Fashion by Simon Doonan (Paperback / softback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.91Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $17.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfter nearly a lifetime spent in the Industry, author and fashion insider Simon Doonan is ready to let you in on a little secret: his peers in this multibillion-dollar industry are just as nutty as the denizens of your local loony bin. In The Asylum, an unabashedly hilarious memoir-in-essays, Doonan, the creative ambassador for Barneys New York, tells the real-life stories of glamorous madness and stylish insanity. Doonan has seen it all: from dealing with models unable to work for fear of ghosts, to deep-sea fishing with a couturier pal and his jailbird companion, to watching Anna Wintour remain perfectly calm while the ceiling fell literally in the middle of Fashion Week. The outlandish family Doonan knew as a child has given way to alarmingly similar lunatic peers in the fashion world: style insiders see patterns and trends in everything; they suffer from outsize personality disorders and delusions of grandeur; and, of course, they have a predilection for theatrical makeup and artfully destroyed clothing. No one is more suited to the asylum than the truly die-hard fashionista after all, eccentricity and extremism are the foundations of great style. Hailed as a must-read for fashionistas and n-fashionistas alike, (Michael Kors) and raucous and revelatory ( Booklist ), Doonan s critically acclaimed collection gives us the scoop on the kooky, cutthroat but always fabulous fashion world, and proves the author to be one of the sharpest humorists writing today.
- Author BiographySimon Doonan is the creative ambassador for Barneys New York and the author of several books, including Gay Men Don t Get Fat, Wacky Chicks, and Beautiful People (published in the U.S. as Nasty ), which became a BBC TV series. Originally from England, he worked on Savile Row, at Maxfield in Los Angeles, and with Diana Vreeland at The Costume Institute of The Metropolitan Museum of Art before becoming the creative director of Barneys New York, where he designed legendary window displays for more than twenty years. In 2009, he designed the holiday decorations for the Obama s first White House Christmas. Formerly a columnist for The New York Observer, he is now a contributor to Slate.com, and has appeared on Gossip Girl, Iron Chef America, America s Next Top Model, and elsewhere. Doonan lives in New York with his husband, Jonathan Adler.
- Author(s)Simon Doonan
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication25/03/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPenguin USA
- Weight272 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.