All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the meeting point between Europe, colonial America, and Africa, the history of the Atlantic world is a constantly shifting arena, but one which has been a focus of huge and vibrant debate for many years. In over thirty chapters, all written by experts in the field, The Atlantic World takes up these debates and gathers together key, original scholarship to provide an authoritative survey of this increasingly popular area of world history. The book takes a thematic approach to topics including exploration, migration and cultural encounters. In the first chapters, scholars examine the interactions between groups which converged in the Atlantic world, such as slaves, European migrants and Native Americans. The volume then considers questions such as finance, money and commerce in the Atlantic world, as well as warfare, government and religion. The collection closes with chapters examining how ideas circulated across and around the Atlantic and beyond. It presents the Atlantic as a shared space in which commodities and ideas were exchanged and traded, and examines the impact that these exchanges had on both people and places. Including an introductory essay from the editors which defines the field, and lavishly illustrated with paintings, drawings and maps this accessible volume is invaluable reading for all students and scholars of this broad sweep of world history.
- Author BiographyD'Maris Coffman is a Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellow and Director of the Centre for Financial History at Newnham College, University of Cambridge, Adrian Leonard is a post-doctoral researcher at the Centre for Financial History at Newnham College, University of Cambridge and William O'Reilly is lecturer in early modern History at the University of Cambridge.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/01/2012
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleRoutledge Worlds
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 black & white tables, 50 black & white halftones, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight1558 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine48 mm
- Edited byAdrian Leonard,D'Maris Coffman,William O'Reilly
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.52Trending at AU $64.59
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.90Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $19.40
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $94.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.