All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn in-depth, scientific yet hopeful and positive look at how the brain and body work together . . . [Dr. Martha Herbert] has developed a new way of seeing autism. Library Journal After years of treating patients and analyzing scientific data, Harvard Medical School researcher and clinician Dr. Martha Herbert offers a revolutionary new view of autism and a transformative strategy for dealing with it. Autism, she concludes, is t a hardwired impairment programmed into a child s genes and destined to remain fixed forever. Instead, it is the result of a cascade of events, many seemingly mir. And while other doctors may dismiss your child s physical symptoms the anxiety, sensory overload, sleeplessness, frequent illnesses or seizures as coincidental or irrelevant, Dr. Herbert sees them as vital clues to what the underlying problems are, and how to help. Drawing from the newest research, techlogies, and insights, as well as inspiring case studies of both children and adults, Dr. Herbert guides you toward restoring health and resiliency in your loved one with autism. Her specific recommendations aim to provide optimal nutrition, reduce toxic exposures, limit stress, and open the door to learning and creativity. As thousands of families who have cobbled together these solutions themselves already kw, this program can have dramatic benefits for your child with autism, and for you, your whole family, and perhaps your next baby as well. Invaluable . . . a must-read . . . Dr. Martha Herbert gets it. She t only gets it, but she puts it out there in an awesome book so the rest of us can get it, too. Autism Watch [Herbert] goes further than most autism specialists. Her impressive science background merges with common sense and even intuitive sense [making] complex scientific and medical materials seamlessly blend with a holistic viewpoint. Relieve Autism Hope and practical guidance . . . With this easy-to-read book, parents can gain wisdom on how to guide your child to achieve a healthy and thriving life. Mom Central
- Author BiographyMartha Herbert, MD, PhD, is an assistant professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School and a pediatric neurologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, where she is the director of the TRANSCEND Research Program. She sits on the Scientific Advisory Committee for Autism Speaks. Karen Weintraub, MA, is an award-winning journalist and freelance health writer for outlets like The Boston Globe, USA Today, and the BBC. A past recipient of a prestigious Knight Center for Science Journalism fellowship, she also teaches journalism at the Harvard Extension School and Boston University.
- Author(s)Martha R. Herbert
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/03/2013
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBallantine Books Inc.
- Weight227 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine17 mm
Most relevant reviews
- chrisdiphoorn44...19 Dec, 2016by
Great book for anyone with a child on the spectrum
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $46.87
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.