All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Karen Siff Exkorn's son Jake was diagsed with autism, she struggled to pull together comprehensive information about the disorder. Fortunately, she was able to educate herself, and her extensive at-home treatment of her son led to his amazing full recovery. But the journey wasn't easy, and w, in The Autism Sourcebook , Siff Exkorn shares with parents the wisdom she wishes she'd had at the beginning. Recent studies show that there is a worldwide epidemic of autism. Early detection and early intervention are two of the key factors in improving progsis-but too often, writes Siff Exkorn, parents get bogged down in denial or confusion about the still mysterious disorder, and are unable to take the necessary steps. Providing accessible medical information gleaned from the world's foremost experts, Siff Exkorn offers an inside look at families with children who have autism, and ties in her own first-hand experience as a parent.The author shares valuable kwledge about the following: what the diagsis really means; understanding and accessing treatment options; kwing your child's rights in the school system; coping with common marital and familial stress; and making the stigma of autism a thing of the past. With extensive appendices, including the Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers, Diagstic Criteria for the Five Pervasive Developmental Disorders, and carefully selected lists of Internet resources, recommended readings, and top autism organisations worldwide, The Autism Sourcebook is the single most comprehensive, practical resource available to parents and loved ones of children with autism.
- Author BiographyAfter her son's recovery from autism, Karen Siff Exkorn made it her mission to reach out as a consultant to other families living with autism. With a B.A. from Brown University and an M.A. from New York University, she is a frequent lecturer at universities and autism organizations around the world. Karen has appeared on ABC's Good Morning America, Nightline, and an international media tour. She and her husband recently established the Siff Exkorn Family Foundation, which provides funding for research and treatment of autism. The author donates a percentage of the proceeds from book sales to autism organizations worldwide. She lives in Rockland County, New York, with her husband and son.
- Author(s)Karen Siff Exkorn
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication15/10/2006
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam Morrow Paperbacks
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight471 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.28Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.