All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.67
About this product
- DescriptionAn audacious biography of the ex-president of Cuba told in Castro's own outrageous, bombastic voice. Prize-winning author and journalist Norberto Fuentes was once a revolutionary: a writer with privileged access to Fidel Castro's inner circle during some the most challenging years of the revolution. But in the late 1990s, as the regime began sending its oldest comrades to the firing squad, he became A Man Who Knew Too Much. Escaping a death sentence and w living in exile, Fuentes has written a brilliant, satirical, and utterly captivating autobiography of the Cuban leader-in Fidel's own arrogant and seductive language-discussing everything from Castro's early sexual experiences in Biran to his true feelings about Che Guevara and his philosophy on murder, legacy, and state secrets. Critics have long admired Fuentes's writing; one U.S. article called him Norman Mailer's Cuban pen pal. Akin to Gertrude Stein's The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas, or Edmund Morris's Dutch, this wickedly entertaining, true-to-life masterpiece is as imaginative and outsized as Castro himself.
- Author BiographyJournalist, award-winning fiction author, and former member of the Cuban revolution, Norberto Fuentes has written ten books, including Hemingway in Cuba. His work has been praised by writers such as Italo Calvino, William Kennedy, and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He left Cuba in 1994 and now lives in exile in Florida. Anna Kushner was born in Philadelphia and first traveled to Cuba in 1999. Beside her commanding translation (Words Without Borders) of The Halfway House (ND, 2009), her writing and translations have appeared in numerous other print and web publications.
- Author(s)Fuentes Norberto
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication01/02/2011
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps, frontispiece
- Weight440 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Translated byAnna Kushner
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.