All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVladimir Jankelevitch was one of the most distinctive voices in twentieth-century philosophy. In The Bad Conscience - published in 1933 and subsequently revised and expanded - Jankelevitch lays the foundations for his later work, Forgiveness, grappling with the conditions that give rise to the moral awareness without which forgiveness would make sense. Remorse, or the bad conscience, arises from the realization that the acts one has committed become irrevocable. This realization, in turn, gives rise to an awareness of moral virtues and values, as well as freedom and the responsibilities freedom entails. Thus, while the majority of moral systems try to shield us from remorse, the remedy for the bad conscience lies t in repentance but in the experience of remorse itself. To this careful and sensitive English-language translation of The Bad Conscience, translator Andrew Kelley has added a substantial introduction situating the work in historical and intellectual context. Notes throughout indicate differences between this and earlier editions. A thought-provoking critique of standard conceptions of moral philosophy, The Bad Conscience restores this work by an important philosopher who has only recently begun to receive his due from the English-speaking world.
- Author BiographyVladimir Jankelevitch (1903-85) held the Chair in Moral Philosophy at the Sorbonne from 1951 to 1978. He is the author of more than twenty books on philosophy and music, including Forgiveness, also published by the University of Chicago Press. Andrew Kelley is associate professor of philosophy at Bradley University. He is also the translator of Jankelevitch's Forgiveness.
- Author(s)Vladimir Jankelevitch
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication25/11/2014
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Introduction byAndrew Kelley
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.