Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionThe Baha'i community of Iran is the country's largest n-Muslim religious mirity. This collection of essays presents a comprehensive study of the social and historical development of the Baha'i community, and its role in shaping modern Iran. Central to this study is the pioneering character of the Baha'i community in the late 19th and early 20th century, with chapters examining the role of women in the Baha'i community; the impact of Baha'i-run schools on Iranian society, Baha'i contributions to public health initiatives; and the influence of Baha'i thought and the actions of individual Baha'is on the Constitutional Revolution of 1906-1911. Conversion to the Baha'i Faith is ather important theme, as contributors investigate the phemen of large scale conversion to the Baha'i Faith from the Jewish and Zoroastrian communities. Finally, although persecution of the Baha'is has drawn the attention of the Western media, until w few scholars working in the field of Iranian studies have chosen to write on the history or details of this persecution. Here, five prominent figures in the field redress this balance and look at different aspects of this persecution, including its historical background, the attitude of secular Iranians, persecution before and after the Islamic Revolution of 1979, and human rights perspectives. This book will be of interest to students and scholars of Iranian studies, Middle Eastern studies and comparative religion, and with many chapters authored by leading academics in Iranian studies, The Baha'is of Iran addresses both a gap in academic literature on the Baha'i Faith, and in the study of modern Iran in general.
- Author BiographyDominic Parviz Brookshaw is Lecturer in Persian Studies and Iranian Literature at the University of Manchester. Dr Seena B Fazel is Clinical Senior Lecturer in Forensic Psychiatry at the University of Oxford and an honorary Consultant Psychiatrist.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2006
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleRoutledge Advances in Middle East and Islamic Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number6
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note14 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white tables, 14 black & white halftones
- Weight589 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byDominic Parviz Brookshaw,Seena Fazel
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.