All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom one of Turkey's most acclaimed and outspoken writers comes a vel about the tangled histories of two families.In her second vel written in English, Elif Shafak confronts her country's violent past in a vivid and colorful tale set in both Turkey and the United States. At its center is the bastard of the title, Asya, a nineteen-year-old woman who loves Johnny Cash and the French Existentialists, and the four sisters of the Kazanci family who all live together in an extended household in Istanbul: Zehila, the zestful, headstrong youngest sister who runs a tattoo parlor and is Asya's mother; Banu, who has newly discovered herself as a clairvoyant; Cevriye, a widowed high school teacher; and Feride, a hypochondriac obsessed with impending disaster. Their one estranged brother lives in Arizona with his wife and her Armenian daughter, Armaush. When Armaush secretly flies to Istanbul in search of her identity, she finds the Kazanci sisters and becomes fast friends with Asya. A secret is uncovered that links the two families and ties them to the 1915 Armenian deportations and massacres. Full of vigorous, unforgettable female characters, The Bastard of Istanbul is a bold, powerful tale that will confirm Shafak as a rising star of international fiction.
- Author BiographyElif Shafak is an award-winning, bestselling novelist and the most widely read female writer in Turkey. Her books, which have been translated into more than twenty languages, include The Gaze and The Saint of Incipient Insanities. Her op-ed pieces have appeared in the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, and the Wall Street Journal, and she has been featured on National Public Radio. Elif lives in Istanbul with her husband and two children. Laural Merlington has recorded well over one hundred audiobooks, including works by Margaret Atwood and Alice Hoffman, and is the recipient of several AudioFile Earphones Awards. An Audie Award nominee, she has also directed over one hundred audiobooks. She has performed and directed for thirty years in theaters throughout the country. In addition to her extensive theater and voice-over work, Laural teaches college in her home state of Michigan.
- Author(s)Elif Shafak
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication18/01/2007
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight74 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Narrator(s)Laural Merlington
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time780
- Edition StatementUnabridged
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $20.20Trending at AU $35.47
- AU $28.57Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $31.18Trending at AU $37.17
- AU $14.77Trending at AU $19.70
- AU $31.11Trending at AU $41.17
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $45.81
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $41.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.