All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Bayeux Tapestry, perhaps the most famous, yet enigmatic, of medieval artworks, was the subject of an international conference at the British Museum in July 2008. This volume publishes 19 of 26 papers delivered at that conference. The physical nature of the tapestry is examined, including an outline of the artefact's current display and the latest conservation and research work done on it, as well as a review of the many repairs and alterations that have been made to the Tapestry over its long history. Also examined is the social history of the tapestry, including Shirley Ann Brown's paper on the Nazis' interest in it as a record of rthern European superiority and Pierre Bouet and Francois Neveux's suggestion that it is a source for understanding the succession crisis of 1066. Among those papers focusing on the detail of the Tapestry, Gale Owen-Crocker examines the Tapestry's faces, Carol Neuman de Vegvar investigates the Tapestry's drinking vessels and explores differences in its feast scenes and Michael Lewis compares objects depicted in the Tapestry and Oxford, Bodleian Library, Junius 11. The book also includes a resume of four papers given at the conference published elsewhere and a full black and white facsimile of the Tapestry, with its figures numbered for ease of referencing.
- Author BiographyGale Owen-Crocker is Professor of Anglo-Saxon Culture at the University of Manchester. Her chief research interests are Anglo-Saxon literature and culture and medieval dress/textiles. Her many publications include Brill Encyclopaedia of Medieval Dress and Gale Owen-Crocker is Professor of Anglo-Saxon Culture at the University of Manchester. Her chief research interests are Anglo-Saxon literature and culture and medieval dress/textiles. Her many publications include Brill Encyclopaedia of Medieval Dress and Textiles of the British Isles c. 450-1450 (chief editor, 2012) and The Bayeux Tapestry: Collected Papers (2012).
- PublisherOxbow Books
- Date of Publication15/01/2011
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxbow Books
- Content Noteb/w illus
- Weight1025 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byDan Terkla,Gale R. Owen-Crocker,Michael John Lewis
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.