All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1970, at a community college near Pittsburgh, an imperious senior professor is found dead in his office, killed by an injection of potassium cyanide into his carotid artery. By-the-book Detective Peters immediately suspects a young assistant professor, William Gavin, of the murder because of kwn friction between him and the victim. To clear his name, the unassuming teacher is thrust into the improbable role of amateur sleuth, and into an ambivalent association with the earnest but unimaginative Peters - who, though perplexed and perturbed by the academic's urthodox mode of investigation, is compelled to follow his uncannily valid intuitions. As the case unfolds, Gavin combines keen observation and inquiry with inexplicable impulses to solve the crime, and in dramatic manner to deliver the unlikely killer. Gavin is driven to continue his investigation, however, when he discovers that the homicide is connected to a satanic cult practicing unspeakable rites - and w targeting his pregnant wife and three children. Through half a dozen deaths, two demonic manifestations, and several other harrowing episodes, in a sensational climax Gavin exposes the diabolical web of evil. Other sharply drawn characters - such as the college's officious president, its enigmatic dean, a sundry mix of colleagues, and Bill's steadfast wife Grace - cast in relief Gavin's evolving character and conduct. And the momentous events around the watershed year of 1970 - its iconic songs, books, and figures - provide meaningful coloration as well as cultural context for the strange tale that unfolds in The Beast with Seven Heads: An Improbable Sleuth Mystery.
- Author BiographyAlfred Vincent Hanley, Ph.D., is a retired Professor from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Philadelphia, before which, for many years, he taught and did administration in higher education to the level of vice president. Earlier on and along the way, Hanley taught high school and worked as an insurance underwriter, a financial analyst, a grocery and a paint store clerk, a mail carrier, a truck mechanic, and a freight handler. He and his wife Loretta have raised six children - one a Catholic priest and five married, who have given them eighteen grandchildren to date. Hanley is also the author of the novels, Micky's Mystery, Blue and Apparition ; a book of poems, Testaments ; and the literary study, Hart Crane's Holy Vision. Hanley's web site is oblations.org.
- Author(s)Alfred Vincent Hanley,Dr Alfred Vincent Hanley
- Date of Publication30/11/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight413 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $55.12Trending at AU $56.46
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.77
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.14
- AU $12.11Trending at AU $19.07
- AU $59.86Trending at AU $63.64
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $20.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.