All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionYolande Duvernay, the star of this tale, was born in poverty in Paris in 1812. Under the control of her stage mother, she became a celebrated ballerina - a star of the Paris Opera - becoming the favourite dancer of Princess Victoria. She was praised for her grace, her beauty and her provocative style on stage, kwn as the 'fair brimstone' by William Makepeace Thackeray. There was a darker side to her success, however, as she became the mistress of powerful men, eventually being sold by her mother to Stephens Lyne Stephens, son and heir of the richest commoner in England, for almost a million pounds in today's values. A few years later, Yolande caused a huge scandal when she manipulated Stephens into marriage. When Stephens died in 1860, he left his widow a life interest in the entire Lyne Stephens fortune - one of the largest fortunes in England. With an annual income of over two million pounds in today's money, Yolande became the wealthiest woman in the country - even richer, it was said, than Queen Victoria. While her husband's will was placed in the infamous Court of Chancery and lawyers began to pore over every word, she turned her attentions to the British Military Attache in Paris. With an eye on her fortune, General Claremont took charge of Yolande's financial affairs - and soon he and his wife were sharing her wealthy lifestyle in a menage a trois. Jenifer Roberts unearths this extraordinary story of sex, scandal and money and proves that truth really can be stranger than fiction.
- Author BiographyPrevious books by Jenifer Roberts include 'Fitz: The Colonial Adventures of James Edward FitzGerald' (2014); 'The Madness of Queen Maria' (2009 and in Portuguese translation 2012); and 'Glass: The Strange History of the Lyne Stephens Fortune' (2003). She writes for 'History Today' magazine and lives in a seventeenth century farmhouse in Wiltshire with her husband and a rescue dog.
- Author(s)Jenifer Roberts
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication14/07/2016
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note30
- Weight567 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $22.83Trending at AU $27.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.