All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDeveloping a written standard is one of the most fundamental institutional achievements of a society. On the threshold to the Modern Era the vernaculars massively gained ground in writing throughout Western Europe. They soon underwent regularization and eventually standardization. In England, however, the situation was quite different from that of the continent: well into the 14th century the literate space was filled mainly by Latin and French. For a long time Chaucer has been regarded as having brought about the victory of English. But recent research calls for a broader perspective including the work of linguists as well as literary and cultural historians. Such a new perspective helps to assess that English was t reestablished by a poet hero and standardized by a king. Instead we need to consider that various forces were at work.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Ursula Schaefer is Professor of English Linguistics at the Technische Universitat Dresden. Her main publications are on medieval English literature and on questions of the transition from orality to literacy. At present she is leading the research project Institutionalization of the Vernacular: Textualization and Standardization of Late Medieval English within the Dresden Sonderforschungsbereich 537 Institutionalitat und Geschichtlichkeit ( Institutionality and Historicity ) sponsored by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG).
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/09/2006
- Series TitleStudies in English Medieval Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number15
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Notetables and graphs
- Weight290 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byUrsula Schaefer
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.