All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe mother of all disasters Think of the 1800s, the wagontrains, and the people who crossed the prairie looking for a better life. Now fast-forward to the new millennium and the worldwide ecomy totally crashing, causing unbelievable chaos and violence. Through Native American prophecy, Aaron Hodges sees it coming and envisions building a hidden colony to ride out the likely decades-long crisis. When the crash came body could point a finger and blame a specific thing. The United States and the world were locked in drought, stagnant ecomy, and rampant pollution. Too many people were wasting too much, demanding too much standard of living, and too much money created too much free time and entertainment, for, as one height was reached boredom prevailed, and more and greater thrills were demanded. More wood, more metal, more food and drink, and more oil. The oil flow stopped. Then the flow of supplies stopped. The civilized world found itself trapped inside a steel, concrete, and plastic wasteland with utilities, food, water. And gasoline. Aaron Hodges is the bellwether. He sees the future through the prophecies of his Nez Perce friend, Four Crows. When the crash happens, martial law is declared. No taking a caravan down a hardtop road. So some 60 people go cross-country in 16 covered wagons each pulled by a 4-horse team, over fields, prairie, and forest, about 40 days and 300 miles from southern Minnesota farming country into rthern Minnesota wilderness. Caroline Jentner is the love of Aaron's life. She has a partly-crippled, seven-year-old daughter, Jennie. Little Jennie doesn't have a big part, and doesn't appear until chapter 12, but when she does appear she will capture your heart. You will come to love her, and she helps Aaron and her mom finally get together. Caroline often has the viewpoint, and sees the world quite differently from Aaron. George, a senior citizen hobo, has last name and a peculiar body odor. Later, George will become Aaron's handyman at his small farm, and throughout their relationship serves as Aaron's living conscience. Set in the near future, vel runs for two years. Background themes include the ecomy, environment, and a shadowy master race organization. This vel is character-driven, just rmal people loving and finding love, surviving, and reacting to circumstances as best they can. You will like the characters, you will care what happens to them, and at the end you will cheer.
- Author BiographyJames W. Nelson was born in a little farmhouse in 1944. Some doctors made house calls back in those days. He remembers kerosene lamps, bathing in a large galvanized tub, and their phone number was a long ring followed by four short ones, and everybody else in the neighborhood could rubberneck. (Imagine that today!) He was living in that same house on the land originally homesteaded by his great grandfather, when a savage tornado hit in 1955 and destroyed everything. They rebuilt and his family remained until the early nineteen-seventies when diversified farming began changing to industrial agribusiness (not necessarily a good thing.) He spent four years in the US Navy, worked many jobs and finally has settled on a few acres exactly two and one half miles straight west of the original farmstead, ironically likely the very spot where the 1955 tornado first struck, which sometimes gives him a spooky feeling.
- Author(s)James W Nelson
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication17/03/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1030 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.18
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
- AU $27.14Trending at AU $27.89
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.