All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionFive times each week over the past several decades, sports fans in New Orleans began their mornings by reading local sportswriter Peter Finney. Finney's newspaper columns -- entertaining, informative, and inspiring -- connected New Orleans readers to the world of sports, for nearly 70 years. From a career total of 15,000 articles, this book offers a prime selection of the very best of Finney's writing as well as an introduction from Peter Finney, Jr. Beginning his writing career as a college freshman at Loyola University, Finney added his distinctly poetic voice to the sports pages of the States-Item (1945--80) and the Times-Picayune (1980--2013). This impressive time span placed the reporter on the sidelines of the most iconic moments in Louisiana sports history. This collection includes Finney's account of Billy Cann's 89-yard punt return against Ole Miss in 1959; Tom Dempsey's 1970 NFL-record 63-yard field goal; and the Saints' 31--17 victory over the Indianapolis Colts in the 2010 Super Bowl. His interviews and profiles covered nearly every major sports figure of his time: Ted Williams, Jesse Owens, Joe DiMaggio, Muhammad Ali, Joe Namath, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Arld Palmer, Billy Cann, Pete Maravich, Lee Trevi, Rusty Staub, Archie, Peyton, and Eli Manning, Eddie Robinson, Doug Williams, Dale Brown, Billy Martin, Brett Favre, Nick Saban, Shaquille O'Neal, Mike Ditka, Sean Payton, Drew Brees, Sugar Ray Leonard, Skip Bertman, Les Miles, and Tom Benson, among many others.The riveting moments and fascinating characters portrayed in this volume will delight both hardcore sports enthusiasts and casual fans, in stories told with Finney's characteristic grace, humility, and wit.
- Author BiographyPeter Finney, Jr., former sportswriter for the New York Post and New York Daily News, is the recipient of the St. Francis de Sales Award from the Catholic Press Association. Since 1993, he has served as the executive editor and general manager of the Clarion Herald, the newspaper of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.
- Author(s)Peter Finney
- PublisherLouisiana State University Press
- Date of Publication22/02/2016
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLouisiana State University Press
- Content Noteblack & white halftones
- Weight567 g
- Width151 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.