The Bias Beneath the Facts: Education in a Democratic Society by Debra L Clark Ph D (Paperback / softback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $117.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $132.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Bias Beneath the Facts: Education in a Democratic Society is a text for introductory teacher-training courses. The text is based on the premise that in any democratic society education is an on-going debate. It introduces students to that debate and invites them to participate in the dialogue as professionals. Many textbooks on education present information as if it had come from an all-kwing authority figure. This book stresses that there are truths or facts. Rather, every item of information is an opinion. The strength of the opinion is determined by the evidence presented to support it. Reading through the text and completing the activities allows students to form and reflect on their own opinions, and by doing so find their own professional voices. Each chapter begins with two sections designed to engage students and get them thinking about featured readings: What Is the Topic?, and Why Do I Need to Kw This? The chapters conclude with discussion questions that help students identify biases. By having them question what they read and learn to distinguish personal and professional opinion, the book teaches pre-service educators to read and think critically. Discussion questions are followed by activities that deepen the learning experience, and online resources that allow for further independent exploration. Odd-numbered chapters give topic overviews, while even-numbered chapters present articles written by a variety of authors on these chosen topics. While it is especially beneficial in Introduction to Education classes, The Bias Beneath the Facts can also be used in courses on Social Studies Education, K-12 Administration, the History of Education, and any course related to teacher professionalization. The author/editor's e-mail address is included at the end of each chapter so that students and professors can contact her and continue the debate. Debra L. Clark, Ph.D., is an associate professor at Kent State University where she specializes in introducing students to the political side of K-12 teaching. Surrounded by K-12 teachers at every family gathering, she hears how national policies play out in school classrooms and uses this information to enrich debates about schooling in her classes. Recently Dr. Clark was selected as a Global Learning Scholar in Ohio. In this capacity she will work with other faculty to design university curriculum that assists pre-service teachers in becoming globally conscious and skilled.
- Author(s)Debra L Clark Ph D
- PublisherCognella Academic Publishing
- Date of Publication01/11/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCognella Academic Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight520 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $99.21
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.51
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $93.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.