All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most influential books ever published in Canada, Harold A. Innis's The Bias of Communication has played a major part in reshaping our understanding of history, communication, and media theory. First published in 1951, this masterful collection of essays explores the relationship between a society's communication media and that community's ability to maintain control over its development. Innis considers political and ecomic forces in the context of social change and the role of communication in the creation of both ancient and modern empires. In an essay for this new edition, Innis biographer Alexander John Watson examines the reasons why Innis, at the height of his success as an ecomic historian, embarked on new research areas of communications and empire, as well as the ways in which Marshall McLuhan's interpretations of Innis changed and de-politicized Innis's work. As important today as it was when first published, The Bias of Communication is essential reading for historians and scholars of communication and media studies.
- Author BiographyHarold A. Innis (1894-1952) was an economic historian at the University of Toronto. He wrote widely on economics, media, and communication theory. His notable works include The Bias of Communication, The Fur Trade in Canada, and The Code Fisheries, all published by University of Toronto Press.
- Author(s)Harold Adams Innis
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication09/01/2008
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight440 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Introduction byAlexander John Watson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.