All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOur town Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, is seen through cameras past and present in this largest ever photo historical review reaching as far back as 1875 to as recently as the summer of 2010. Matching vintage pictures with camera views from the same angle today, local historian and photo history veteran Jack R. Westbrook turns the same concise reporting of his five previous books again to his home town, describing what was there and what the more than 200 locations look like today. In addition to looking at people and businesses of the past and present, Westbrook turns the camera's eye on a number of historical homes and the folks who occupied them. The book is flavored by a local high schooler of the times description of life in the town in 1920, Westbrook's own 1956 high school essay on Mt. Pleasant when he was 16 years old and local interviewer and columnist Burnie Bonnel's inter views with tables of the past. This is the most comprehensive photo history of the town's growth from village to city ever published and will introduce the newcomer to Mt. Pleasant's heritage and provide hours of stalgia to longtime residents, as well as being a welcome addition to any historian's bookshelf. A portion of the proceeds from the new book's sale will be devoted to the Veterans Memorial Library at Mt. Pleasant for the purchase of a ProScan 1000 microfilm reader system to replace the library's outmoded microfilm readers. The new machine will allow downloads, in a variety of electronic formats, of articles from newspapers past.
- Author BiographyJack R. Westbrook grew up in the Mt. Pleasant area and early-on developed a passion for both history and writing. After serving in the United States Navy and working at Central Michigan University, he honed his writing skills at the Mt. Pleasant Daily Times-News and Ray Cline Marketing, finally leading him to join the Michigan Oil & Gas News magazine in 1973. After semi-retirement in 2001, he continued on as a columnist with them through 2007. He now does a photo timecapsule feature for Mount Pleasant Monthly magazine. With Mt. Pleasant's history as The Oil Capital of Michigan, Jack has written and/or edited four books about Michigan's oil and gas industry, and in recent years has authored pictorial histories of Mt. Pleasant (2006), Michigan Oil and Gas (2006), Central Michigan University (2007), Isabella County (2008) and co-authored with local historian/genealogist Sherry Sponseller a history of the county's one room schools called Yesterday's School Kids of Isabella County (2010). Jack has been the featured speaker on the subjects of all of his books at numerous local events, state and national gatherings.
- Author(s)Jack R Westbrook
- Date of Publication21/06/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.