The Big Red Fox: The Incredible Story of Norman Red Ryan, Canada's Most Notoroius Criminal by Peter McSherry (Paperback, 1999)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $30.72Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $14.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNorman Red Ryan was a torious bank robber, safecracker, and killer. He escaped from Kingston Penitentiary twice - first by force, and then years later by gulling the credulous into believing that he was reformed. The dupes of Ryan's second emancipation included the prison's Roman Catholic chaplain, several nationally prominent citizens, the country's largest newspaper, and, ultimately, R.B. Bennett, the prime minister of Canada, who made the mistake of arranging a political parole for Ryan. Six people - three of them incent victims - died as a result of Red Ryan's freedom. Dubbed the Jesse James of Canada and Canada's most torious criminal, Ryan had compiled a record of nineteen convictions for crimes of theft and violence, and had been in nine shooting affrays with police and citizens. He was a lifer in an era when life meant just that. Yet he got out of Kingston after just eleven and a half years and returned to Toronto, the city of his birth, amid fanfare befitting a national hero. His death in a liquor store robbery in Sarnia on May 23, 1936, just ten months after his release, was a huge jolt to Canada, and especially Toronto. How could such an obvious threat to society be paroled from prison as a paragon of reform? This question is central to The Big Red Fox. The answer lies t with Ryan himself - t even the cunning and deceitful Red Ryan could have hoodwinked his way out of a life sentence - but with those who helped him, and who benefited from his release. McSherry's checkered career has equipped him with an extraordinary insight into the street, crime, and criminals. He has been a high school teacher, a truck driver, a taxi driver, and a freelance writer. The Big Red Fox is the product of McSherry's many years of research and his lifetime of interest in Norman Red Ryan.
- Author BiographyPeter McSherry's checkered career has equipped him with an extraordinary insight into the street, crime, and criminals. He has been a high school teacher, a truck driver, a taxi driver, and a freelance writer. The Big Red Fox is the product of McSherry's many years of research and his lifetime of interest in Norman Red Ryan.
- Author(s)Peter McSherry
- PublisherDundurn Group Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/1999
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDundurn Group Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight309 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.