Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
About this product
- DescriptionThis long-awaited book by Jon A. Peterson presents a sweeping narrative history of the origins of city planning in the United States, from its nineteenth-century antecedents to its flowering in the early twentieth century. Deeply researched, well-written, and engaging, the text is supplemented by an outstanding selection of historic plans, illustrations, and photographs. Topics covered in detail include the McMillan Plan for Washington, D.C. (the first comprehensive plan for an American city), the City Beautiful movement, the major planners-Daniel Burnham, Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., Charles Mulford Robinson, John Nolen, and others-who led the planning movement; the ascendancy of a generalist approach to the shaping of the physical city, the role of the Progressive Era reform, and the emergence of city planning as a vel field of public endeavor. This book will appeal to students and scholars in urban studies, community planning, American history (the Guilded Age and Progressive Era), American studies, architectural and landscape history, as well as environmental and planning history, including practicing professionals in related fields.
- Author BiographyJon A. Peterson is a professor of history at Queens College, City University of New York.
- PrizesJoint winner for Society of Architectural Historians Spiro Kostof Award 2005.
- Author(s)Jon A. Peterson
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2003
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note93 black & white halftones, 24 black & white line drawings
- Weight1157 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.