All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFifteen-year-old Amadou counts the things that matter. For two years what has mattered are the number of cacao pods he and his younger brother, Seydou, can chop down in a day. This number is very important. The higher the number the safer they are because the bosses won't beat them. The higher the number the closer they are to paying off their debt and returning home to Baba and Auntie. Maybe. The problem is Amadou doesn't kw how much he and Seydou owe, and the bosses won't tell him. The boys only wanted to make some money during the dry season to help their impoverished family. Instead they were tricked into forced labor on a plantation in the Ivory Coast; they spend day after day living on little food and harvesting beans in the hot sun-dangerous, backbreaking work. With hope of escape, all they can do is try their best to stay alive-until Khadija comes into their lives. She's the first girl who's ever come to camp, and she's a wild thing. She fights bravely every day, attempting escape again and again, reminding Amadou what it means to be free. But finally, the bosses break her, and what happens next to the brother he has always tried to protect almost breaks Amadou. The old impulse to run is suddenly awakened. The three band together as family and try just once more to escape.
- Author BiographyTara Sullivan is the author of the award-winning and critically acclaimed Golden Boy. Shewas born in India and spent her childhood living in Bangladesh, Ecuador, Bolivia, and the Dominican Republic with her parents, who were international aid workers. She received a BA in Spanish literature and cognitive science from the University of Virginia, and an MA in Latin American Studies and an MPA in nonprofit management from Indiana University. She currently lives with her family in Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Tara Sullivan
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/2016
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintG.P.Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers'
- Weight454 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $247.00Trending at AU $288.91
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.76
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $15.69
- AU $49.62Trending at AU $52.62
- AU $31.61Trending at AU $38.35
- AU $42.83Trending at AU $43.98
- AU $27.37Trending at AU $30.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.