The Blackwell Dictionary of Eastern Christianity by John Wiley and Sons Ltd (Hardback, 2000)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $218.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $89.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionContaining over 700 articles, this Dictionary allows the reader to explore Eastern Christian civilization with its cultural and religious riches. The articles are written by a team of 50 international contributors, including leading historians, theologians, linguists, philosophers, patrologists, musicians, and scholars of liturgy and icography. The Dictionary covers both the major living traditions of Eastern Christianity and some which are very little kwn. It offers balanced treatment of the Byzantine traditions (Greek, Slav, Romanian and Georgian), and the Oriental traditions (Armenian, Assyrian, Coptic, Ethiopian, Syrian, Indian), taking account of Orthodox, Catholic and Reformed communities. Both communities in their original homelands and the diaspora, exile and convert communities worldwide are considered. The articles do t present Eastern traditions in terms of Western Christian interests and a Western view of Christian history, but in terms that Eastern Christians will recognise. Readers will be able to use the Dictionary as a basic source of information about the different Eastern Christian churches, and to locate information that they would have difficulty finding elsewhere. The longer articles put terms, concepts, people and events into context. They offer ways of exploring unfamiliar connections and of making useful comparisons. Cross-references lead the reader to related topics and background issues. A comprehensive index lists every important name and topic that appears in the Dictionary and helps the reader to navigate the volume.
- Author BiographyKen Parry is Honorary Research Fellow in the Department of Ancient History at Macquarie University, Australia. He has published numerous articles on Byzantine theology and is the author of Depicting the Word: Byzantine Iconophile Thought (Brill, 1996).David J. Melling is at Manchester Metropolitan University. Dimitri Brady is at Manchester Metropolitan University. Sydney H. Griffith is at the Catholic University of America. John F. Healey is at Manchester University.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication03/09/2000
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1248 g
- Width187 mm
- Height257 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Edited byDavid J. Melling,Dimitri Brady,John F. Healey,Ken Parry,Sidney H. Griffith
Save on Other
- AU $19.02Trending at AU $21.49
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $51.16
- AU $18.18Trending at AU $21.90
- AU $26.11Trending at AU $28.13
- AU $35.56Trending at AU $40.78
- AU $30.44Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $17.41Trending at AU $22.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.