All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
About this product
- DescriptionThe Blackwell Reader in Judaism introduces Judaism in its own words, affording readers a direct encounter with this ancient and enduring faith. The volume includes passages from Scripture, the Dead Sea Scrolls, Rabbinic writings, medieval and modern Jewish philosophy and theology, and statements of modern movements in Judaism, all with editorial comment and guidance. The selection covers the historical development of Judaism and its doctrines, as well as representing contemporary debates. The readings have been selected according to three guiding principles: To stimulate thought and reflection and so to help readers or students draw inferences about a particular theme or problem. To illustrate the essays in the accompanying Blackwell Companion to Judaism so that the expositions there are substantiated in real Judaic texts. To exemplify an important trait in Judaism.The 27 topics treated in the associated Companion expound the topics of Judaism, and the corresponding selections in this Reader illustrate important points with primary sources, in English, to complement the exposition. In this way, the editors talk about Judaism and let Judaism speak for itself. They present introductions for any reader interested in the subject, and do t take partisan or sectarian positions.
- Author BiographyJacob Neusner is Research Professor of Religion and Theology at Bard College. He has nine honorary degrees, fourteen academic medals and has published more than 800 books. Alan J. Avery-Peck is Kraft-Hiatt Professor in Judaic Studies at The College of the Holy Cross. His has published widely and is editor of the journal The Annual of Rabbinic Judaism: Ancient, Medieval and Modern.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication15/12/2000
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleBlackwell Readings in Religion
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight1068 g
- Width187 mm
- Height259 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byAlan J. Avery,Jacob Neusner
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.