All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSocrates, the largely enigmatic Greek thinker, has had a remarkably enduring influence on virtually every area of philosophical enterprise. The Bloomsbury Companion to Socrates introduces readers to the main issues in the philosophy of Socrates. With 13 different sections, this Companion presents an overview of current research in the various features, themes and topics apparent in Socrates' thought, including Socratic irony, metaphysics, epistemology, happiness, virtue, moral psychology, philosophy of love, political philosophy, and religious belief. With additional chapters on the historical Socrates and his prosecution by the democracy of Athens, this is a comprehensive and accessible introduction to Socrates' life and death, character and philosophical concerns. Written by a team of leading experts in the field of ancient philosophy and concluding with a thoroughly comprehensive bibliography of primary and secondary sources, The Bloomsbury Companion to Socrates is an essential introduction to this founder of Western philosophy.
- Author BiographyJohn Bussanich is Professor of Philosophy at the University of New Mexico, USA. He is the author of The One and its Relation to Intellect in Plotinus (Brill, 1988) and co-editor of the journal Ancient Philosophy. Nicholas D. Smith is Professor of Philosophy at Lewis and Clark College, USA. His many publications include Ancient Philosophy: Essential Readings with Commentary (with F. Allhof and A. Vaidya, Blackwell, 2008), Routledge Philosophy Guidebook to Plato and the Trial of Socrates (with T. Brickhouse, Routledge, 2004), The Trial and Execution of Socrates (edited and translated with T. Brickhouse, OUP, 2002) and Reason and Religion in Socratic Philosophy (with P. Woodruff, OUP, 2000).
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication17/12/2015
- Series TitleBloomsbury Companions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Weight696 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byJohn Bussanich,Nicholas D. Smith
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $36.61Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.