All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA wind that only the widest gardens can hold. A lipstick stain on a poem. A bee released - with recourse to a letter from the Inland Revenue Department. A grey sky like a governess, a mother dressed by her two-year-old son, a flurry of leaves behind a tram. In The Blue Coat, Elizabeth Smither examines the quotidian and the quirky for resonance, for contemplation, for verve. Here 'poetry has a place among other bodies', but also in enclosed gardens, in Chinese restaurants, in margins and in memory - 'sometimes open and hospitable, sometimes secret, behind dark hedges'. Whimsical and tender, this latest collection demonstrates Smither's talent for illuminating the poetry in the everyday - an out-of-season daffodil, a chipped Limoges plate. She is a master of the unfolding poem, in lines that take you from a single image to the cusp of something larger. At times meditative, at times playful, even slightly subversive, this collection impresses with a surety of word, a deft touch and a polished harmony.
- Author BiographyDistinguished writer Elizabeth Smither was the 2001-2003 Te Mata Poet Laureate. In 2004 she was awarded an honorary DLitt from the University of Auckland for her contribution to literature and was made a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit. She was given the Prime Minister's Award for Literary Achievement in 2008.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Smither
- PublisherAuckland University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2013
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintAuckland University Press
- Weight120 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.