About this product
- DescriptionThe Bob Dylan Encyclopedia is one of the most wide-ranging, informed, entertaining, provocative, and compulsively readable books ever written about popular music. It's the culmination of over thirty years of dedicated research and scholarship by Michael Gray.Bob Dylan's outreach is too wide, too deep and too long for any book about him to cover it all. He'll be 65 years old when this book is published and his career spans 45 years of American history. The many different kinds of entry that are in the book include: biographies of singers, musicians, songwriters and composers who have influenced Dylan and/or worked with him; critical assessments and factual details (including place and date of recording, date of release and original catalogue numbers) for all Dylan's albums and for a large number of individual songs from decades of work; and, Dylan's key career and biographical moments.The many different kinds of entry that are in the book also include: biographies of writers, poets and other key cultural figures who have impacted on Dylan's work and/or who are mentioned within it, from William Blake to William Carlos Williams and from Lenny Bruce to Franz Kafka, in each case delineating the often surprising ways in which they connect to Dylan's work; short biographies of music critics and authors of books and major websites on Dylan; critical assessments & facts on Dylan's own books and films; and, discursive subjects, from Dylan Interpreters to Cowboy Heroes, and from The Use of Hollywood Dialogue in Dylan's lyrics, to 'frying an egg on stage'.
- Author BiographyMICHAEL GRAY is a distinguished critic, writer & broadcaster. He graduated in History & English Literature at York University in the 1960s where he studied under the controversial, brilliant critic Professor F. R. Leavis, and where as a student journalist he interviewed the legendary American guitarist Jimi Hendrix. His pioneering study of Bob Dylan's work, Song & Dance Man, was the first full-length critical study of this crucial 20th Century cultural figure. It is now recognised as a classic in its field. Michael Gray is recognised as a world authority on the work of Bob Dylan and is an expert on rock'n'roll history and the blues, with a special interest in pre-war blues. Please visit his blog at http://bobdylanencyclopedia.blogspot.com.
- Author(s)Michael Gray
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication05/06/2008
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Out-of-print date15/02/2013
- Content Note75 bw illustrations
- Weight1633 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine43 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $18.62New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
- AU $24.96New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.92New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $32.17New
- AU $20.04New
- AU $20.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $19.06Trending at AU $21.30
- AU $31.03Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $41.88Trending at AU $42.67
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $57.72Trending at AU $62.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.