All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow can a 19-year-old, mixed-race girl who grew up in a crack house and is w pregnant be so incent? Yslea is full of contradictions, though, seeming both young and old, incent and wise. Her spirit is surprising, given all the pain she has endured, and that's the counterpoint this story offers--while she sees pain and suffering all around her, Yslea overcomes in her own quiet way. What Yslea struggles with is expressing her thoughts. And she wonders if she will have something of substance to say to her baby. It's the baby growing inside her that begins to wake her up, that causes her to start thinking about things in a different way. Yslea drifts into the lives of four people who occupy three dilapidated row houses along the train tracks outside of Memphis: The way their three little row houses sort of leaned in toward each other and the way the paint peeled and some of the windows were covered with cardboard, the row might as easily have been empty.
- Author BiographyDr. Raymond Barfield is a pediatric oncologist at Duke University School of Medicine and Associate Professor of philosophy at Duke Divinity School. He also works with the Institute on Care at the End of Life at Duke Divinity School--the Institute's work crosses disciplines and focuses on the intersection of spirituality and medicine. Ray has a book out from Cambridge University Press, The Ancient Quarrel Between Poetry and Philosophy, and he's working on a nonfiction trade book that explores the intersection of spirituality, philosophy and science. He also has a book of poetry that was just published in October. It's his work with low-income African American children at Duke University Hospital and his previous experience in the ERs of Atlanta and Memphis inner-city hospitals that make him so familiar with the protagonist in The Book of Colors.
- Author(s)Raymond Barfield
- PublisherUnbridled Books
- Date of Publication28/05/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLakewood, CO
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUnbridled Books
- Weight228 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $55.12Trending at AU $56.46
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.77
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.14
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.07
- AU $59.86Trending at AU $63.64
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.52
- AU $47.07Trending at AU $49.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.