Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThe book of Isaiah has urished the church throughout the centuries. However, its massive size can be intimidating; its historical setting canseem distant, opaque, varied; its organization and composition can seem disjointed and fragmented; its abundance of terse, poetic language can make its message seem veiled - and where are those explicit prophecies about Christ? These are typical experiences for many who try to read, let alone teach or preach, through Isaiah.Andrew Abernethy's conviction is that thematic points of reference can be of great help in encountering Isaiah and its rich theological message. In view of what the structure of the book of Isaiah aims to emphasize, he employs the concept of 'kingdom' as an entry point for organizing the book's major themes. In many respects, Isaiah provides a people living amidst imperial contexts with a theological interpretation of them in the light of YHWH's past, present and future sovereign reign.Four features of 'kingdom' frame Abernethy's study: God, the King; the lead agents of the King; the realm of the kingdom and the people of the King. While his primary aim is to show how 'kingdom' is fundamental to Isaiah when understood within its Old Testament context, interspersed canical reflections assist those who are wrestling with how to read Isaiah as Christian Scripture in and for the church.
- Author BiographyAndrew T. Abernethy is Assistant Professor of Old Testament at Wheaton College. He is the author of Eating in Isaiah: Approaching Food and Drink in Isaiah's Structure and Message (Brill), co-editor of Isaiah and Imperial Context: The Book of Isaiah in Times of Empire, and has published numerous articles, essays, and reviews on topics pertaining to Isaiah, Jeremiah, Psalms, and biblical theology.
- Author(s)Andrew T. Abernethy
- PublisherSPCK Publishing
- Date of Publication21/07/2016
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNottingham
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintInter-Varsity Press
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.