All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
About this product
- DescriptionThe Book of the Ring is a prose narrative version of Wagner's Ring-Cycle, presented here in the form of a vel, in the style and tradition of the greatest romances kwn to the world. If you have loved the tales of Sw White and Sleeping Beauty, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, King Arthur and the Dragon, Jason and the Golden Fleece, Tristan and Isolde, you will want to read The Book of the Ring. All these, and many more of the greatest myths and legends of all time, have their echoes, often their sources, in the Nibelungensaga, a mixture of Germanic and Norse mythology that reached its literary apotheosis in legends of the royal family of the Burgundians around the 5th century. In creating his greatest work, one of the greatest operas of all time, the Festspiel (Music-Drama) in four parts which he called The Ring of the Nibelungen, Wagner took the original Nibelungensaga as his starting-point, but retold the tale in his own way, changing some names, adding new characters, and providing an ending that has had huge historical ramifications. In The Book of the Ring, David Prashker has taken Wagner's libretto and stage directions and transformed into prose narrative what is performed as musical-theatre in opera houses all around the world, retelling this extraordinary tale of love and betrayal, of heroism and perfidy, of the rule and the fall of the gods, and of the curse of the ring fashioned from the Rheingold. An essential introduction to one of the greatest works in the history of music. David Prashker's fictional autobiography of Wagner, A Pilgrimage To Bayreuth, is also available from The Argaman Press.
- Author BiographyDavid Prashker was born in London in 1955 and has lived in France, Israel, Canada and the United States, where he is currently based. A former kibbutznik, he has led Jewish education and cultural organizations for more than two decades. He is the author of thirty books, including contemporary and historical novels, short stories, poetry, songs, plays and scholarly works. You can follow his blog at apps.theargamanpress.com/Blog/ or find him at his website Davidprashker.com. For more information about his books, go to: theargamanpress.com.
- Author(s)David Prashker
- PublisherArgaman Press
- Date of Publication29/01/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArgaman Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight290 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.