All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe startling truth behind one of the most torious dynasties in history is revealed in a remarkable new account by the acclaimed author of The Tudors and A World Undone. Sweeping aside the gossip, slander, and distortion that have shrouded the Borgias for centuries, G. J. Meyer offers an unprecedented portrait of the infamous Renaissance family and their storied milieu. THE BORGIAS They burst out of obscurity in Spain t only to capture the great prize of the papacy, but to do so twice. Throughout a tumultuous half-century as popes, statesmen, warriors, lovers, and breathtakingly ambitious political adventurers they held center stage in the glorious and blood-drenched pageant kwn to us as the Italian Renaissance, standing at the epicenter of the power games in which Europe s kings and Italy s warlords gambled for life-and-death stakes. Five centuries after their fall a fall even more sudden than their rise to the heights of power they remain immutable symbols of the depths to which humanity can descend: Rodrigo Borgia, who bought the papal crown and prostituted the Roman Church; Cesare Borgia, who became first a teenage cardinal and then the most treacherous cutthroat of a violent time; Lucrezia Borgia, who was as shockingly immoral as she was beautiful. These have long been stock figures in the dark chronicle of European villainy, their name synymous with unspeakable evil. But did these Borgias of legend actually exist? Grounding his narrative in exhaustive research and drawing from rarely examined key sources, Meyer brings fascinating new insight to the real people within the age-encrusted myth. Equally illuminating is the light he shines on the brilliant circles in which the Borgias moved and the thrilling era they helped to shape, a time of wars and political convulsions that reverberate to the present day, when Western civilization simultaneously wallowed in appalling brutality and soared to extraordinary heights. Stunning in scope, rich in telling detail, G. J. Meyer s The Borgias is an indelible work sure to become the new standard on a family and a world that continue to enthrall. Praise for The Borgias A vivid and at times startling reappraisal of one of the most torious dynasties in history . . . If you thought you knew the Borgias, this book will surprise you. Tracy Borman, author of Queen of the Conqueror and Elizabeth s Women The mention of the Borgia family often conjures up images of a ruthless drive for power via assassination, serpentine plots, and sexual debauchery. . . . [G. J. Meyer] convincingly looks past the mythology to present a more nuanced portrait. Booklist Meyer brings his considerable skills to ather infamous Renaissance family, the Borgias [and] a fresh look into the machinations of power in Renaissance Italy. . . . [He] makes a convincing case that the Borgias have been given a raw deal. Historical Novels Review Fascinating . . . a gripping history of a tempestuous time and an infamous family. Shelf AwarenessFrom the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyG. J. Meyer is the author of two popular works of history, The Tudors and A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, as well as Executive Blues and The Memphis Murders. He received an M.A. from the University of Minnesota, where he was a Woodrow Wilson Fellow, and later was awarded Harvard University s Nieman Fellowship in Journalism. He has taught at colleges in Des Moines, St. Louis, and New York, and now lives in Wiltshire, England.
- Author(s)G. J. Meyer
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/10/2014
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBantam Dell Publishing Group, Div of Random House, Inc
- Content Notecolour illustrations, figures
- Weight408 g
- Width139 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.