All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe concept of race is central to one of the most powerful ideological formations in history, Dominick LaCapra argues in his introduction to this volume, and understanding the effects of that ideology and its intricate relations with issues of class and gender is one of the most pressing challenges to contemporary modes of thought. The eleven essays comprising The Bounds of Race confront this challenge with insight, rigor, and imagination. The authors take on questions of language, genre, and politics with reference to African-American, Anglo-American, African, South African, Francophone North African, British, and Afro-Hispanic texts. Individual chapters discuss writings from an array of genres including homily, autobiography, the vel, children's literature, and political and scientific discourse. Taken together, the essays argue persuasively that the existing can must be expanded, that the protocols of interpretation must be transformed to make a prominent place for such issues as race, and that the problem of interpretation cant be posed in the absence of theoretically informed modes of historical investigation. The Bounds of Race provides a subtle analysis of the variable role of racial ideologies and traces the interplay between hegemonic constraints and the strategies of resistance to them. Contributors: Kwame Anthony Appiah, Stephen Clingman, Henry Louis Gates Jr., Sander L. Gilman, Michael Goldfield, Dominick LaCapra, Francoise Lionnet, Anne McClintock, Samia Mehrez, Satya P. Mohanty, Jose Piedra, Hortense J. Spillers, and Nancy Leys Stepan.
- Author BiographyDominick LaCapra is Bryce and Edith M. Bowmar Professor of Humanistic Studies and Professor of History and Comparative Literature at Cornell University.
- PublisherCornell University Press
- Date of Publication30/10/1991
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationIthaca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCornell University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight542 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byDominick LaCapra
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.