All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Two of the greatest children's books ever written' - The Times on Box of Delights and The Midnight Folk. 'And w, Master Harker, w that the Wolves are Running, perhaps you could do something to stop their Bite?' A magical old man has asked Kay to protect the Box of Delights, a Box with which he can travel through time. But Kay is in danger: Abner Brown will stop at thing to get his hands on it. The police don't believe Kay, so when his family and the Bishop are scrobbled up just before Christmas, he kws he must act alone ...John Masefield's classic children's book is considered to be one of the great works of modern children's fiction. Magical, fantastical and filled with vivid, rich characters - brought to life in this edition by Quentin Blake's stunning artwork - The Box of Delights and its sequel The Midnight Folk are a must-read for any child.
- Author BiographyJohn Masefield was born in 1878 in Hertfordshire. After leaving school he went to sea, but deserted his ship when the urge to write professionally overtook him. He spent two years doing odd jobs in New York whilst learning his craft as a writer. He moved back to England in 1897. After serving in the First World War, Masefield became a full time writer, writing many popular novels and collections of poetry, including the children's novels The Box of Delights and The Midnight Folk He was appointed Poet Laureate in 1930. He was a prolific writer until his death in 1967. His ashes are buried in Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey. Quentin Blake was born in 1932 in Sidcup, Kent. He read English at Downing College Cambridge, Education at the London University Institute of Education, and subsequently attended life classes at Chelsea School of Art. In a long career which began over fifty years ago he has become one of the best-loved and best-known of English illustrators, celebrated for his extended collaboration with writers such as Roald Dahl, Russell Hoban, Michael Rosen and John Yeoman. He has also created his own picturebooks and illustrated spaces in museums and hospitals. He taught illustration for over twenty years and has written two books about his own work: Word and Pictures and beyond the Page. He lives and works in London, in Hastings, and in the South West of France. He was knighted for services to illustration in 2013, and in 2014 appointed Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur.
- Author(s)John Masefield
- PublisherEgmont UK Ltd
- Date of Publication10/03/2014
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEgmont Books Ltd
- Weight371 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Illustrator(s)Quentin Blake
- Interest AgeFrom 10
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $128.00Trending at AU $198.07
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $166.93
- AU $26.91Trending at AU $29.25
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.22
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $52.20
- AU $14.90Trending at AU $23.48
- AU $38.98Trending at AU $44.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.