All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a book of miracles. Fascinating...An absorbing compendium of unlikely recoveries from physical and mental ailments offers evidence that the brain can heal...brings Oliver Sacks to mind. (Lisa Appignanesi, Observer). The Brain's Way of Healing explores the astonishing advances in the discovery of neuroplasticity, showing that the brain has its own unique way of healing, only recently uncovered. Norman Doidge discusses a series of remarkable recoveries: patients told they would never improve have years of chronic pain alleviated or damage from debilitating strokes undone, and symptoms of multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, brain injury, autism or learning disorders are reversed. He also shows how the risk of dementia can be lowered by 60 per cent. Using stories to present cutting-edge science, Doidge illustrates principles that everyone can apply to improve their brain's performance.
- Author BiographyNorman Doidge, MD, is a psychiatrist, psychoanalyst and New York Times bestselling author. He is on the Research Faculty at Columbia University's Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research, in New York, and on the faculty at the University of Toronto's Department of Psychiatry. He and his work have been profiled and cited in, among others, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, International Herald Tribune, The Washington Post, Scientific American Mind, Melbourne Age, The Guardian, The Harvard Review of Psychiatry, Psychology Today, O The Oprah Magazine, and the National Review.
- Author(s)Norman Doidge
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication28/01/2016
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Weight326 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine25 mm
Most relevant reviews
- kingkirra31 May, 2016by
Interesting book about the plasticity of the brain and its ability to relearn the physical control of one's body especially after injury or disease.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.45Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.