All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the only in-depth ethgraphic study of British charter tourists. It is based on several months of participant observation of British charter tourists on holiday in Palmava and Magaluf on the Mediterranean Island of Mallorca. With a focus on space, the body, and food and drink practices, the book explores the experiential nature of touristic practice which provides insight into constructions, understandings and kwledge of the self in relation to national, regional, class, and gender identities. These issues in turn highlight elements of power and control which are mainly articulated through the attempts to manipulate tourists' consumption practices by the mediators of tourists' experiences.
- Author BiographyHazel Andrews is Senior Lecturer in Tourism, Culture and Society in the Centre for Tourism, Events and Food Studies at Liverpool John Moores University. With a particular focus on practices of embodiment, consumption, habitus and place, her research and publications examine social and symbolic constructions of national, regional and gendered identities in the context of British tourists to Mallorca. Her current research involves the application of theories of existential anthropology to understandings of touristsaEURO(t) experiences and an examination of discourses of nationalism in tourism imagery. Hazel is a co-founder and an editor of the Journal of Tourism Consumption and Practice.
- Author(s)Hazel Andrews
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication03/06/2011
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleTourism and Cultural Change
- Series Part/Volume Number28
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintChannel View Publications
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight453 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.