All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs Ida Susser writes in reference to Belmonte's Broken Fountain, good ethgraphies have long lives. This classic of urban anthropology, one of the most acclaimed ethgraphies of recent years, offers vivid, literary descriptions of Fontana del Re, an impoverished Neapolitan neighborhood. Belmonte documents the struggles of Neapolitans surrounded by crumbling buildings and ecomic insecurity. He details family dynamics as well as the working of Naples's informal ecomy, the day-to-day struggle for ecomic subsistence, and the intermittent begging and thieving of the young. Taking us from the bustling, vibrant, and gritty streets and alleyways of Naples to the kitchen tables of poor Neapolitan homes, Belmonte resists simplistic depictions of the poor. Instead, he presents subtle, compelling portraits and analyses that capture the emotional, social, and ecomic lives of his subjects. In addition to the continuing relevance of his insights into the effects of poverty, Belmonte's willingness to reflect on his own reactions and emotions while in the field has influenced a generation of scholars. In The Broken Fountain, he poignantly describes the experience of living alone in a strange urban environment and his interactions with the residents of Fontana del Re. This edition includes a foreword by Ida Susser and an afterword by Pellegri D'Acier and Stanislao G. Pugliese.
- Author BiographyThomas Belmonte was a professor of anthropology at Hofstra University. Ida Susser is professor of anthropology at the CUNY Graduate Center. Her books include Norman Street: Poverty and Politics in an Urban Neighborhood; The Castells Reader on Cities and Social Theory; and Wounded Cities: Destruction and Reconstruction in a Globalized World.
- Author(s)Thomas Belmonte
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication23/03/2005
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Note2 photos
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Foreword byIda Susser
- Edition Statement25th Anniversary edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.