All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionThe Bucko Mate describes the author's seafaring experiences over two decades sailing as an officer in the American merchant marine. This nfiction, nautical adventure is full of the profane, the dangerous, the drunken, the crazy, the humorous, the romantic and the brave shipmates the author knew. The degeneration of the maritime industry in the United States is paralleled with the disintegration of the abilities and mental stability of a man who had to finally realize that he was burned out at the age of forty. To be a mate on a merchant ship in the modern heyday of the freighters was to be a man in the middle -- in the middle of maritime chaos, living a colorful life that few have ever experienced. From the storms, fog, waterfront bars and union halls, to the near collisions, deaths at sea, fistfights, dangerous cargo and foreign lands, it was a harsh but exciting life. Yet changes in the industry have taken away much of the color and adventure of it. Ships got bigger and crews got smaller. With vast improvements in cargo handling, they don't stay in port long. This effort is my way of getting some of that colorful era written down before it all fades away.
- Author BiographyKevin Zahn is a graduate of the United States Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York. He also holds a master's degree from Boston College. He sailed all over the world as a mate, or deck officer, for over 20 years (1965-1987), some years full time, some part time. His ships were a variety of steam, diesel and nuclear powered. They carried every kind of cargo imaginable. He was also a junior high school teacher and coach. His last occupation before retiring was as a Geographic Information Systems Analyst. Kevin likes to play tennis, walk his dog, Sassie, and go for hikes around his home in northern Arizona. He is married, and has three children and two grandchildren. He is working on another manuscript. Please visit http: //www.kevinzahn.com for more information and samples.
- Author(s)Kevin Zahn
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication04/11/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.