All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionA user's guide to the solar revolution - and why we must all get on board, before it is too late. We are a cusp civilisation. In just over three generations, we have consumed approximately half the useful oil which took photosynthesis around two million years to produce. In approximately two generations we have used around half our useful uranium resources. We are faced with an urgent choice, the roots of which, Keith Barnham explains, lies in 1905 with the discovery of Einstein's 'other' equation, E = hf. By an extraordinary coincidence, this little-kwn equation, which began the quantum revolution and could hold the key to our future survival through the generation of electricity from sunlight, was discovered in the same year as E = mc2, the equation that threatens to destroy us. This book will investigate the reasons why scientists exploited the equation E = mc2 for energy generation much faster than E = hf, putting our civilisation on an ever-sharper knife edge. But THE BURNING ANSWER is as much about solutions as problems. Through his groundbreaking research, Keith Barnham offers the controversial promise that, despite our much higher energy demands w than in earlier periods of human evolution, our sun can provide all our primary energy needs again. The sunlight falling on the earth in one hour is more than eugh to supply all the energy demands of humankind for one year. This solar techlogy can save us from the threats of global warming, diminishing oil resources, and nuclear disaster -- provided we don't allow politics to stand in our way.
- Author BiographyKeith Barnham is Emeritus Professor of Physics at Imperial College London. He started his research career in experimental particle physics working in research laboratories at CERN in Geneva and the University of California Berkeley. Mid-career he switched to researching solar energy and invented a solar cell with three times the efficiency of today's roof-top panels. He lives with his wife, the poet Claire Crowther, in Somerset.
- Author(s)Keith Barnham
- PublisherOrion Publishing Co
- Date of Publication15/05/2014
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWeidenfeld & Nicolson
- Out-of-print date19/12/2015
- Weight652 g
- Width161 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine32 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.