All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a history of the wars between Byzantium and its numerous foes - the Goths, Arabs, Slavs, Crusaders and Ottoman Turks.By the middle of the sixth century the Byzantine emperor ruled a mighty empire that straddled Europe, Asia and North Africa. Within 100 years, this powerful empire had been cut in half. Two centuries later the Byzantine empire was once again a power to be reckoned with, and soon recovered its position as the paramount East Mediterranean and Balkan power, whose fabulous wealth attracted Viking mercenaries and central Asian mad warriors to its armies, whose very appearance on the field of battle was sometimes eugh to bring enemies to terms.No book has ever attempted a survey of Byzantine wars, and few accounts of Byzantine battles have ever been translated into a modern language. This book will provide essential support for those interested in Byzantine history in general as well as a useful corrective to the more usual highly romanticised views of Byzantine civilisation.John Haldon is one of the world's leading experts on Byzantine history. The original hardback is critically acclaimed: selected as one of the BBC History Magazine , Books of the Year 2001. The reviews in the history and military history press expected (eg BBC History Magazine , Military Illustrated , Legion: The Magazine of the British Legion & Soldier: The Magazine of the British Army ).
- Author BiographyJohn Haldon is Professor of Byzantine History at Princeton University. He is widely acknowledged to be one of the world's leading experts on Byzantine history and his other books include Byzantium: A History, also published by Tempus. Born in Britain, he now lives in Princeton, New Jersey.
- Author(s)John F. Haldon
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication14/07/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note60 illustrations
- Weight260 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.