All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShould we feel inadequate when we fail to be healthy, balanced, and well-adjusted? Is it realistic or even desirable to strive for such an existential equilibrium? Condemning our current cultural obsession with cheerfulness and positive thinking, Mari Ruti calls for a resurrection of character that hors our more eccentric frequencies and argues that sometimes a tormented and anxiety-ridden life can also be rewarding. Ruti critiques the search for personal meaning and pragmatic attempts to rmalize human beings' unruly and idiosyncratic natures. Exposing the tragic banality of a happy life commonly lived, she instead emphasizes the advantages of a lopsided life rich in passion and fortitude. She also shows what matters is t our ability to evade existential uncertainty but our courage to meet adversity in such a way that we do t become irrevocably broken. We are in danger of losing the capacity to cope with complexity, ambiguity, melancholia, disorientation, and disappointment, Ruti warns, leaving us feeling less real and less connected and unable to process a full range of emotions. Heeding the call of our character means ackwledging the marginalized, chaotic aspects of our being, and it is precisely these creative qualities that make us inimitable and irreplaceable.
- Author BiographyMari Ruti is professor of critical theory at the University of Toronto and visiting professor and director of graduate studies in the Program for Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality at Harvard University. Her Columbia University Press books are Between Levinas and Lacan: Self, Other, Ethics (2015) and The Call of Character: Living a Life Worth Living (2013).
- Author(s)Mari Ruti
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication31/12/2013
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Weight454 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $19.54Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $32.25Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $11.14Trending at AU $14.18
- AU $15.04Trending at AU $16.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.