All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis Companion provides a comprehensive overview of African American theatre, from the early nineteenth century to the present day. Along the way, it chronicles the evolution of African American theatre and its engagement with the wider community, including discussions of slave rebellions on the national stage, African Americans on Broadway, the Harlem Renaissance, African American women dramatists, and the 'New Negro' and 'Black Arts' movements. Leading scholars spotlight the producers, directors, playwrights and actors whose efforts helped to fashion a more accurate appearance of black life on stage, and reveal the impact of African American theatre both within the United States and further afield. Chapters also address recent theatre productions in the context of political and cultural change and ask where African American theatre is heading in the twenty-first century.
- Author BiographyHarvey Young is an Associate Professor at Northwestern University, where he holds appointments in African American studies, performance studies and theatre. His publications include Embodying Black Experience (2010), winner of the 2011 Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship from the National Communication Association and the 2011 Errol Hill Award for Outstanding Scholarship from the American Society for Theatre Research. He is also the co-editor of Performance in the Borderlands (2011) and Reimagining 'A Raisin in the Sun': Four New Plays (2012). A past President of the Black Theatre Association, he has also served on the Board of Directors of the American Society for Theatre Research and the Association for Theatre in Higher Education.
- PrizesWinner of Association for Theatre in Higher Education Outstanding Book Award 2014.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication25/10/2012
- SubjectThe Arts: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Literature
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note8 b/w illus.
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byHarvey Young
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.