All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Cambridge Companion to American Islam offers a scholarly overview of the state of research on American Muslims and American Islam. The book presents the reader with a comprehensive discussion of the debates, challenges and opportunities that American Muslims have faced through centuries of American history. This volume also covers the creative ways in which American Muslims have responded to the myriad serious challenges that they have faced and continue to face in constructing a religious praxis and complex identities that are grounded in both a universal tradition and the particularities of their local contexts. The book introduces the reader to some of the many facets of the lives of American Muslims that can only be understood in their interactions with Islam's entanglement in the American experiment.
- Author BiographyJuliane Hammer is Associate Professor of Religious Studies and Kenan Rifai Scholar in Islamic Studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Her research focuses on American Muslims, discourses on gender and sexuality, and Sufism. She is author of Palestinians Born in Exile (2005) and American Muslim Women, Religious Authority, and Activism: More than a Prayer (2012). Her work has appeared in The Muslim World, Hawwa, Contemporary Islam, and Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations, as well as in several edited volumes. She is currently working on a research project analyzing American Muslim efforts against domestic violence. Omid Safi is Professor of Islamic Studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, specializing in contemporary Islamic thought and classical Islam. He is author of Politics of Knowledge in Premodern Islam (2006) and Memories of Muhammad (2010). He is also editor of two volumes, Progressive Muslims: On Justice, Gender, and Pluralism (2003) and Voices of Islam: Voices of Change (2006). He has a forthcoming book on the famed mystic Rumi and is currently working on a monograph discussing contemporary Islamic debates in Iran.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication12/08/2013
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Religion
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note10 b/w illus.
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byJuliane Hammer,Omid Safi
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.31New
- AU $24.97New
- AU $20.06New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.93New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.19New
- AU $21.90New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.69Trending at AU $21.31
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $27.12
- AU $21.50Trending at AU $23.92
- AU $78.42Trending at AU $90.91
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.56
- AU $21.41Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $43.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.