All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Henry Newman (1801-90) was a major figure in nineteenth-century religious history. He was one of the major protagonists of the Oxford or Tractarian Movement within the Church of England whose influence continues to be felt within Anglicanism. A high-profile convert to Catholicism, he was an important commentator on Vatican I and is often called 'the Father' of the Second Vatican Council. Newman's thinking highlights and anticipates the central themes of modern theology including hermeneutics, the importance of historical-critical research, the relationship between theology and literature, and the reinterpretation of the nature of faith. His work is characterised by two elements that have come especially to the fore in post-modern theology, namely, the importance of the religious imagination and the fiduciary character of all kwledge. This Companion fills a need for an accessible, comprehensive and systematic presentation of the major themes in Newman's work.
- Author BiographyIan Ker is Senior Research Fellow in Theology at St Benet's Hall, Oxford. He has published over twenty books, mostly on Newman, including John Henry Newman: A Biography (1988, 1999). Terrence Merrigan is Professor of Systematic Theology at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. His many publications include Newman and Truth (2008).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication02/04/2009
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Religion
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight410 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byIan Ker,Terrence Merrigan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.