All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPiers Plowman has long been considered one of the greatest poems of medieval England. Current scholarship on this alliterative masterpiece looks very different from that available even a decade ago. New information about the manuscripts of the poem, new historical discoveries, and new investigations of its literary, cultural and theoretical scope have fundamentally altered the very meaning of Langland's art. This Companion thus critically surveys traditional scholarship, with the aim of recuperating its best insights, and it ventures forth into newer areas of inquiry attuned to questions of social setting, institutional context, intellectual and literary history, theory, and the revitalized fields of codicology and paleography. By proceeding through chapters that offer cumulatively wider views as well as stand-alone analyses of topics most crucial to understanding Piers Plowman, this Companion gives serious students and seasoned scholars alike up-to-date kwledge of this intricate and beautiful poem.
- Author BiographyAndrew Cole is Associate Professor of English at Princeton University. Andrew Galloway is Professor of English at Cornell University.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication13/02/2014
- SubjectLiterary Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Literature
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note5 b/w illus. 1 map
- Weight490 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byAndrew Cole,Andrew Galloway
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.