Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionKarl Popper was one of the most influential philosophers of the twentieth century. His criticism of induction and his falsifiability criterion of demarcation between science and n-science were major contributions to the philosophy of science. Popper's broader philosophy of critical rationalism comprised a distinctive philosophy of social science and political theory. His critique of historicism and advocacy of the open society marked him out as a significant philosopher of freedom and reason. This book sets out the historical and intellectual contexts in which Popper worked, and offers an overview and diverse criticisms of his central ideas. The volume brings together contributors with expertise on Popper's work, including people personally associated with Popper (such as Jarvie, Miller, Musgrave, Petersen and Shearmur), specialists on the topics treated (Bradie, Godfrey-Smith and Jackson), and scholars with special interests in aspects of Popper's work (Andersson, Hacohen, Maxwell and Stokes).
- Author BiographyJeremy Shearmur is Emeritus Fellow at the Australian National University. He studied at the London School of Economics with Popper, Watkins and Lakatos, and subsequently worked with Popper as his assistant for eight years. He taught philosophy at the University of Edinburgh, political theory at the University of Manchester, and subsequently both subjects at the Australian National University. He is the author of Hayek and After and The Political Thought of Karl Popper, and is coeditor of Popper's After the Open Society. Geoffrey Stokes is Deputy Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research) in the College of Business at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. He is the author of Popper: Philosophy, Politics and Scientific Method (1998). He has been a senior editor (2010-16) of the Australian Journal of Political Science. From 1994-9 he was the editor (politics) for the Australian Journal of Politics and History. In 1985-6 he held a Fulbright Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Center for Philosophy and the History of Science at Boston University.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication27/06/2016
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Philosophy
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note3 b/w illus.
- Weight670 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byGeoffrey Stokes,Jeremy Shearmur
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.