All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers readers a comprehensive and invative introduction to the ecomy of the Roman Empire. Focusing on the principal determinants, features and consequences of Roman ecomic development and integrating additional web-based materials, it is designed as an up-to-date survey that is accessible to all audiences. Five main sections discuss theoretical approaches drawn from ecomics, labor regimes, the production of power and goods, various means of distribution from markets to predation, and the success and ultimate failure of the Roman ecomy. The book t only covers traditionally prominent features such as slavery, food production and monetization but also highlights the importance of previously neglected aspects such as the role of human capital, energy generation, rent-taking, logistics and human wellbeing, and convenes a group of five experts to debate the nature of Roman trade.
- Author BiographyWalter Scheidel is Dickason Professor in the Humanities and Professor of Classics and History at Stanford University, California. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on the ancient world, including The Cambridge Economic History of the Greco-Roman World (with Ian Morris and Richard Saller, 2007). His work, which has focused on ancient social and economic history, historical demography and the history of empire, has been widely recognized for its innovative quantitative and comparative modelling, cross-cultural scope and transdisciplinary breadth across the social sciences and life sciences.
- PrizesWinner of Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2013.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication08/11/2012
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to the Ancient World
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note6 b/w illus. 1 map 1 table
- Weight780 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byWalter Scheidel
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $87.24New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $33.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.97
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $60.99Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.