All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew genres of the last 250 years have proved so crucial to the course of music history, or so vital to public musical experience, as the symphony. This Companion offers an accessible guide to the historical, analytical and interpretative issues surrounding this major genre of Western music, discussing an extensive variety of works from the eighteenth century to the present day. The book complements a detailed review of the symphony's history with focused analytical essays from leading scholars on the symphonic music of both mainstream composers, including Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven and lesser-kwn figures, including Carter, Berio and Maxwell Davies. With chapters on a comprehensive range of topics, from the symphony's origins to the politics of its reception in the twentieth century, this is an invaluable resource for anyone with an interest in the history, analysis and performance of the symphonic repertoire.
- Author BiographyJulian Horton is Associate Professor and Head of the School of Music at University College Dublin. His research focuses on nineteenth-century instrumental music, with special interests in the symphonies of Anton Bruckner and the analysis of sonata forms. His publications include Bruckner's Symphonies: Analysis, Reception and Cultural Politics (2004) and chapters and articles in The Cambridge Companion to Bruckner (2004), Music Analysis, Music and Letters and Musical Quarterly. From 2006 to 2011 he served as Critical-Forum Editor of Music Analysis. He is currently working on a study of Brahms' Piano Concerto No. 2, Op. 83.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication02/05/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Music
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note6 b/w illus. 13 tables 88 music examples
- Weight940 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byJulian Horton
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.