All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.51
- AU $21.35Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionA revolution in language publishing Superbly illustrated in colour throughout, this is the most comprehensive reference book on the history, structure and worldwide use of English ever written. Clear and accessible, the book abounds with insights into how the language evolved and how it works. All aspects of English are covered: * the history of English * grammar, pronunciation and spelling * spoken and written English * regional and social variations - accents and dialects * new words, jargon, slang and cliches * English in use - in science, law, politics, advertising, the media ...* the huge range and creativity of the English vocabulary * language in literature and language in humour * teaching and learning the language * English as a world language * the future of English Photographs, advertisements, cartoons, quotations, newspaper cuttings, poems, anecdotes and examples vividly complement the text throughout, bringing life, surprise and humour to even the most complex topics. No language student or language lover should be without this unique and fascinating book.
- PrizesWinner of British Book Design & Production Award Winter & Co Award for Excellence in Bookbinding 1996.
- Author(s)David Crystal
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication04/05/1995
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Out-of-print date15/09/2009
- Content Note189 b/w illus. 415 colour illus. 53 maps 27 tables
- Weight2260 g
- Width219 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.