All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGeoffrey Chaucer is the best-kwn and most widely read of all medieval British writers, famous for his scurrilous humour and biting satire against the vices and absurdities of his age. Yet he was also a poet of passionate love, sensitive to issues of gender and sexual difference, fascinated by the ideological differences between the pagan past and the Christian present, and a man of science, kwledgeable in astromy, astrology and alchemy. This concise book is an ideal starting point for study of all his major poems, particularly The Canterbury Tales, to which two chapters are devoted. It offers close readings of individual texts, presenting various possibilities for interpretation, and includes discussion of Chaucer's life, career, historical context and literary influences. An account of the various ways in which he has been understood over the centuries leads into an up-to-date, antated guide to further reading.
- Author BiographyAlastair Minnis is the Douglas Tracy Smith Professor of English at Yale University, President of the New Chaucer Society (2012-14), and a Fellow of the Medieval Academy of America. His most recent books are Fallible Authors: Chaucer's Pardoner and Wife of Bath (2007) and Translations of Authority in Medieval English Literature: Valuing the Vernacular (Cambridge University Press, 2009).
- Author(s)Alastair Minnis
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication13/10/2014
- SubjectLiterary Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleCambridge Introductions to Literature
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note4 b/w illus.
- Weight300 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.