All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe capability approach developed by Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen has become an important new paradigm in thinking about development. However, despite its theoretical and philosophical attractiveness, it has been less easy to measure or to translate into policy. This volume addresses these issues in the context of poverty and justice. Part I offers a set of conceptual essays that debate the strength of the often misunderstood individual focus of the capability approach. Part II investigates the techniques by which we can measure and compare capabilities, and how we can integrate them into poverty comparisons and policy advice. Finally, Part III looks at how we can apply the capability approach to different regions and contexts. Written by a team of international scholars, The Capability Approach is a valuable resource for researchers and graduate students concerned with the debate over the value of the capability approach and its potential applications.
- Author BiographyFlavio Comim is Director of the Capability and Sustainability Centre at St. Edmund's College, University of Cambridge. Mozaffar Qizilbash is Professor of Politics, Economics and Philosophy at the University of York. Sabina Alkire is Director of the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initative (OPHI) at the University of Oxford and Research Associate with the Global Equity Initiative at Harvard University.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication24/04/2008
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note16 b/w illus. 53 tables
- Weight1100 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Edited byFlavio Comim,Mozaffar Qizilbash,Sabina Alkire
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.